Tuesday, March 17, 2009

RoboCup--Robotic Soccer


Robotic soccer has many converts, including Iran, which won the 2nd place in the 2004 German Open's Middle Size league.


There were many German entries, and the first winners come from Osnabruck, Germany, the city of my sister-in-law's family.


RoboCup itself is a larger organization.


At one point, when I was studying with Hubert Dreyfus, I planned to write an essay on whether it was possible for robots to play real soccer.


Well, here is RoboCup's goal: By the year 2050, develop a team of fully autonomous humanoid robots that can win against the human world soccer champion team.


It's a lofty goal, and to what degree it will be accomplished is worth watching.


Unless the robots are allowed to injure people, I doubt they'll win . . .


Now, it is time for me to run for my weekend soccer game on the Stanford compus!


Have a wonderful JavaOne and watch for those robots and don't let them beat you ! ! !

No comments: